Young Carers in Schools makes it as easy as possible for schools to support young carers and awards good practice.
Through the programme you will have access to:
- Young Carers in Schools Award – enabling you to gain recognition from several leading charities for their effective practice.
- Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for School Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff – making it as easy as possible for you to identify and support young carers, this resource helps you step by step and includes templates, tools and guidance.
- Webinars – unpicking different criteria in the Young Carers in Schools Award, these free 30 minute sessions make raising outcomes and getting recognition as easy as possible for your school.
- A termly eNewsletter – spotlighting good practice, highlighting relevant policy developments and making sure you don’t miss out on updates and key dates from the programme.
- Professional Development Events – bringing together schools and those working with them, these half-day events enable you to tackle common challenges, share good practice and gain expertise.
What does Young Carers in Schools aim to achieve?
- Young carers attend and enjoy school and reach their full potential.
- Schools are enabled to identify and support young carers.
- Young carers have improved wellbeing and are better prepared for independent lives.
- Parents and carers are supported to enable their children to attend school.
- A school culture is created which is fully accessible, and understands and respects disability and caring.
- Young carers have the same life opportunities as other children.