Young Carers in Schools makes it as easy as possible for schools to support young carers and awards good practice.
Through the programme you will have access to:
- Any future Covid-19 resources and opportunities to speak to other schools and young carers services about the challenges you might be facing at this time.
- Young Carers in Schools Award – enabling you to gain recognition from several leading charities for their effective practice.
- Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for School Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff – making it as easy as possible for you to identify and support young carers, this resource helps you step by step and includes templates, tools and guidance.
- Webinars – unpicking different criteria in the Young Carers in Schools Award, these free 30 minute sessions make raising outcomes and getting recognition as easy as possible for your school.
- eNewsletter – spotlighting good practice, highlighting relevant policy developments and making sure you don’t miss out on updates and key dates from the programme.
What does Young Carers in Schools aim to achieve?
- Young carers attend and enjoy school and reach their full potential.
- Schools are enabled to identify and support young carers.
- Young carers have improved wellbeing and are better prepared for independent lives.
- Parents and carers are supported to enable their children to attend school.
- A school culture is created which is fully accessible, and understands and respects disability and caring.
- Young carers have the same life opportunities as other children.
The YCiS Programme has been running for 5 years and is currently under review. We are grateful to hear all experiences so that the programme can continue to grow and reflect the current challenges young carers are facing at school. Please email Carers Trust for any feedback regarding the resources and email The Children’s Society for any feedback regarding the Award.