Young Carers in Schools is a free initiative that makes it as easy as possible for schools to support young carers, and awards good practice.
Run jointly by Carers Trust and The Children’s Society, we are working with schools across England to share good practice, provide relevant tools and training, and to celebrate the great outcomes that many schools achieve for young carers. This initiative is currently funded by Henley Festival.
Colleagues in Wales please visit https://carers.org/young-carers-schools-wales
*** 72 awarded schools reveal the impact of adopting the Young Carers in Schools programme. View our infographic to find out more.***
What does Young Carers in Schools offer schools?
- Young Carers in Schools Award – enabling you to gain recognition from leading charities for your effective practice.
- Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for School Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff – making it as easy as possible for you to identify and support young carers, this resource helps you step by step and includes templates, tools and guidance.
- Webinars – unpicking different criteria in the Young Carers in Schools Award, these free 30 minute sessions make raising outcomes and getting recognition as easy as possible for your school.
“I thought (the webinar) was fantastic and such a good use of time.” Inclusion Manager
- A termly eNewsletter – spotlighting good practice, highlighting relevant policy developments and making sure you don’t miss out on updates and key dates from the programme.
To start working towards a Young Carers in Schools Award, check out our 5 key actions to getting involved.
Why take part?
The Young Carers in Schools programme enables schools to:
- Gain national recognition for raising outcomes for young carers through the Young Carers in Schools Award.
- Demonstrate to Ofsted that your school is meeting the needs of young carers, specifically mentioned in the Common Inspection Framework, 2015.
- Identify manageable steps to improve educational outcomes for this vulnerable pupil group – the programme breaks down the actions schools can take so that your school can prioritise what to do next.
- Access additional support including tools, templates and good practice examples, webinars and professional development events.
for terms and conditions visit carers.org